North Korea on Wednesday said a US soldier who had crossed into the country last month has admitted to illegally entering into the North.
The soldier has also expressed a willingness to seek refuge in the North or a third country, state media reported.
According to the media reports. Pyongyang said Private Travis T. King confessed to crossing into the North because of “inhuman maltreatment and racial discrimination within the US Army.”
It is the first public acknowledgement of the incident by North Korea.
The soldier entered into the North on July 18 while on a civilian tour of the Joint Security Area (JSA) on the heavily fortified border between the North and South.
More to follow…
jsi/rs (AP, AFP, Reuters)